DSCS Canda Decontamination Services Technology
A Risk Assessment Based Approach to Selecting Technology
Many organizations use risk assessment methods to manage their business and comply with industry regulations. Google the term “risk assessment” and you are likely to find a definition along the lines of “A systematic process of evaluating the potential risks that may be involved in a projected activity or undertaking”. In other words:
Select a Technology that Delivers the Performance you Require in Real World Operating Conditions
Based upon our experience, we couldn’t agree more. Unique operating conditions can hinder the performance of many technologies in less than ideal conditions. Unfortunately, there is no “silver bullet” or “one size fits all” technology that works in every situation. If it were only that simple! But the fact is, typical operating conditions in the “real world” can be vastly different from the ideal conditions in a testing lab.
We get it … Selecting the proper decontamination approach can be a confusing and a frustrating experience. Especially when you have little margin for error and have to get it right the first time. Our mission is to listen and help you select the best decontamination solution that meets your needs.
Real World Selection Considerations
We’ve cultivated decontamination options that vary in strength or efficacy levels, ranging from sterilization services that deliver a log6 (99.9999%) bio-burden reduction, to lower efficacy decontamination treatments that provide disinfection or sanitization results. In the majority of the situations that we face, we’ve found that the technologies listed below deliver the best results in “real world” operating conditions.
We can achieve a 99.9999% bio-burden reduction of spores, bacteria, viruses and fungi hiding in difficult to reach areas.
Our treatments are applied quickly and efficiently, guaranteeing minimal downtime at your facility.
Our preferred products have low toxicity ratings without harmful chemical residuals, which helps keep everyone safe.
Our services are affordable and significantly less expensive than the cost of a recall or outbreak.
Airborne and Surface Contamination
Validated results in challenging applications
- Capabilities range from treating individual pieces of equipment and single rooms to large buildings and confined spaces
- Worldwide track record of decontaminating challenging high-profile projects with extensive 3rd party validation
- Registered with the EPA as a sterilant capable of killing all spores, bacteria, viruses, and fungi
- Effective in destroying hard to kill beta lactams, pinworm eggs and PCR Amplicons
- Capable of inactivating many API’s and high-potency protein and amino acid based compounds. Inquire for specifics
- Nano size gas particles allows for complete decontamination in even the smallest and most difficult to access areas, including intricate equipment, HVAC systems, Hepa filters and inside long pipe runs
- Large facilities up to 4,400,000 Cu ft with complex geometries can be decontaminated in one cycle
- Results verified by using biological indicators placed in difficult to reach places which are inoculated with bacterial spores (Geobacilius stearothermophilus 106) known to be among the most difficult to destroy
- Documentation validating the procedural, chemical and biological results are provided with each treatment
Safe on materials with minimal environmental impact
- Safe treatment method rated as a Non-Carcinogen by the IARC and ACGIH where no harmful byproducts are generated or left behind
- Proprietary pH neutral and residue free generation method permits the sterilization of high-value critical equipment, including electronics, without the risk of corrosion or premature failure
- Low environmental impact technology earning approved listing on the USDA’s National Organic Programs list of Allowed and Prohibited Substances
Put Us To The Test: Small batch testing is available to confirm any concerns regarding material compatibility
SANITIZATION AND DISINFECTION RESULTS
Airborne and Surface Contamination
The consequences to businesses and institutions experiencing biological contamination in lightly to moderately regulated industries can be just as significant as those operating in highly regulated industries. While the sterility requirements in many of these industries are less stringent, that doesn’t mean that our decontamination approach is any less stringent.
Our disinfection or sanitization technologies typically deliver a log3 to log5 (99.9%-99.999%) bio-burden reduction in low-moderate risk industries. Performance can be validated using a variety of methods including ATP swabbing, microbial swabbing, chemical indicators and biological indicators.
- Light to moderately regulated industries where microbial contamination can have moderate consequences
- Applications where avoidable biological contamination can lead to moderate or serious infections
- Customers where a publicized occurrence can damage their reputation and have lasting repercussions
- Proactive companies or institutions seeking to mitigate risk and protect the health of all stakeholders
- Operations seeking to improve utilization rates, reduce downtime and reduce manual cleaning processes
- Customers with lower risk operating conditions
Fast results without a costly treatment
- Effective in controlling or destroying bacteria, viruses, fungi, C-diff spores and odors in the appropriate setting
- Wide variety of disinfectant choices are available
- Achieves sanitation and disinfection results in small to large size spaces
- Efficacy results can be verified using the ATP process or microbial swabbing
- Used in lower risk applications that don’t require 100% coverage in microscopic crevices or difficult to reach areas
VISUALLY CLEAN AND SANITIZATION RESULTS
The universal decontamination premise is that you must start with a relatively clean surface before you begin treatment. Any potential interference that may impede the ability to achieve sterilization, disinfection or sanitization results must be eliminated. This means that excess bio-burden must be removed, as many chemical agents can’t adequately reach or penetrate dirty or soiled loads. Additionally, soiled areas can also react with, or absorb a decontamination agent, minimizing the agent’s efficacy and the outcome of the treatment.
We request that clients remove gross contamination and any residual product matter from the treatment zone before we initiate treatment. In practice, we find that some of our client’s don’t have the adequate resources to perform these tasks in-house. As a result, we offer a variety of supplemental services on a case by case basis in conjunction with our sterilization and disinfection services.
Supplemental Decontamination Treatment Offerings
Chemical Foaming: Removes biofilm and stubborn contamination in challenging areas
Dry Vapor Steam Cleaning: Decontamination of moisture sensitive items
Pressure Washing: Removes heavy soils in moisture tolerant applications
Electrostatic Spaying Services
The DSCS Canada Company utilizes electrostatic sprayers in applications where the surfaces have been pre-cleaned and have a low soil level. We’ve found that the electrostatic sprayer is one of the most effective and economical application technologies available for achieving sanitization results in lower risk applications. Capable of delivering a wide range of disinfectants, the electrostatic sprayer takes a single drop of liquid and turns it into 900 charged droplets.
Those charged droplets are then attracted to the object or surface requiring disinfection, defying gravity in the process. Because of this, the electrostatic sprayer is able to reach areas that are frequently missed by traditional spray and wipe disinfection methods, including the underside and backside of objects that harbor contamination.
When it comes to the droplets, size really does matter. Turning a single drop into 900 and propelling it at high velocity, means that you use much less disinfectant in the process. DSCS Canada clients can now afford to use disinfectants with the highest efficacy and safety ratings that would otherwise be too expensive if applied with traditional methods.
The Benefits of Electrostatic Spraying
- Smaller droplets mean less product usage and lower cost
- Charged particles easily cover hard to reach places
- Proper application typically ensures 80% to 100% surface coverage
- Chemical choices that work in the presence of light organic matter
- Reduces the potential for human error
Pressure Washing Cleaning Services
The DSCS Canada Company uses a variety of different pressure washing systems for removing heavy contamination in moisture tolerant applications. We use heated water systems as well as systems that operate at ambient water temperatures and utilize both low and high pressure delivery methods. Food processing equipment, transportation vessels, IBC’s and any surface that is designed to be wash downed are good candidates for pressure washing. When a cleaning agent must be added to the water, we prefer to use environmentally friendly chemical surfactants that comply with the strictest water discharge requirements.
The Benefits of Pressure Washing
- Effective in removing a wide variety of contamination
- Fast and cost effective treatment method
- Environmentally friendly water
- Water can be augmented with cleaning solutions
- Water temperature and pressure can be regulated
ODOR REMOVAL RESULTS
Airborne and Surface Contamination
It is a commonly held belief in some quarters that odor removal is a simple and straightforward process requiring little training or expertise. In our experience, odor remediation is far from a simple or straightforward process. In fact, removing challenging odors can often be as difficult as achieving sterilization results in many high-risk critical industries. Considerable expertise blending technical know-how with the appropriate technology is often required in order to successfully remove many challenging odors in a safe manner.
Odor remediation typically involves using powerful chemicals and/or gases in a commercial or residential setting. In this environment, construction materials and porous contents that weren’t designed to withstand the effects of many decontamination technologies are often present. Additionally, commercial and residential odor remediation is usually performed in less than ideal atmospheric conditions, compounded by the presence of organic matter, cellulose materials and other absorbents that work to impede the odor removal process.
Having performed over 500 odor removal projects, we understand how to successfully remediate difficult odors in a safe fashion. We know what technologies work and don’t work. We’ve used all the different odor removal technologies at some point, but have found that two in particular, chlorine dioxide and hydrogen peroxide, deliver the best combination of performance and safety.
Chlorine Dioxide Odor Removal Technology
The DSCS Canada Company uses chlorine dioxide products for difficult odor remediation projects. Not to be confused with chlorine or bleach, our chlorine dioxide products are non-carcinogenic with pH neutral properties, making them a safer alternative for use in commercial and residential settings. No harmful residues are generated or left behind. Of particular importance, chlorine dioxide is the chemical option which is least affected by the presence of organic matter, cellulose materials and other absorbents that commonly work to impede the odor removal process.
We often use both aqueous chlorine dioxide solution and chlorine dioxide gas together on many odor remediation projects as a one-two punch. Chlorine dioxide gas is liquid soluble, meaning that it doesn’t lose its strength in the presence of liquids, and actually supercharges the aqueous chlorine dioxide solution’s ability to penetrate and destroy odiferous bacteria and fungus. In our experience, chlorine dioxide gas fumigation is the most effective method for destroying odors in hidden or difficult to reach areas that are prevalent in odor remediation projects.
Our chlorine dioxide products can be scaled up to provide fast treatment times on large jobs and easily adjusted to remediate the strongest residential odors. Insurance companies appreciate the cost savings they enjoy by reducing additional living expense (ALE) reimbursements, business interruption (BI) insurance claims, and odor related contents replacement claims. Discerning homeowners enjoy The DSCS Canada Company’s ability to restore their home’s environment and value in a professional manner.
Chlorine Dioxide Odor Removal Benefits
- High performance in challenging applications
- Strength can be adjusted for strong odors
- Easily scaled up to treat large projects
- Safe pH neutral, non-carcinogenic with no residue
- EPA registered products with organic approvals
Hydrogen Peroxide Odor Removal Technology
The DSCS Canada Company uses various hydrogen peroxide products and delivery methods in lower level odor remediation projects. Similar to our chlorine dioxide technology, hydrogen peroxide is non-carcinogenic to humans and enjoys a well deserved reputation as a versatile odor remediation solution.
Our hydrogen peroxide solutions are appropriate to use on both hard and many soft porous surfaces with minimal compatibility issues. No harmful chemical residue is generated or left behind. However, hydrogen peroxide does not share the unique properties of chlorine dioxide where performance is not significantly compromised by the presence of organic material or liquids. As a result, we use hydrogen peroxide in lower level odor remediation projects or applications where there is no visual soiling, residual water deposits, or contamination present.
Hydrogen Peroxide Odor Removal Benefits
- High performance in cleaner environments
- Dry fog, wet fog and spray delivery methods
- Suitable for treating small to medium size areas
- Safe pH neutral, non-carcinogenic with no residue
- EPA registered products